17 January 2015

Time for Encouragement!

Christmas break is over and we are back with our students trying to analyze data - where do we go next?  What can I change in my classroom?  What can I cut out? What can I add to boost test scores?

If you read my last post then you know the reality of our teaching day,  the work we must do on a daily basis and the work we have yet to tackle.  We do our best to deliver the Iowa Core standards but it is not easy.  Our diverse student population adds to this difficulty.  Differentiation is so important for us but its tough to juggle and actually deliver.  After talking with many staff members I thought it was about time I shared positive words and encouragement!

Angela Watson is an Educational Consultant with over 15 years of teaching experience.  Using her  years of experience combined with her faith she has created a website, Facebook page, and blog that is outstanding. She shares practical classroom ideas and helps teachers build a positive mindset so they can enjoy their work. She has written several books that I highly recommend.  I noticed there are other educators in our district that also follow Angela.  She is a Christian and she shares her faith in everything she does.  I find her to be real, honest and extremely motivating.

Her books....

Awakened:  Changing Your Mindset to Change Your Teaching  
The Cornerstone: Classroom Management That Makes Teaching More Effective, Efficient, and Enjoyable 
Unshakeable: 20 Ways to Enjoy Teaching Every Day … No Matter What!

Several years ago I read Angela's book, Awakened and participated in her on-line study based on the book.  I still use many of Angela's teachings and this year in particular I needed her thoughts and teachings to wake me up and flip my attitude.  I'm looking forward to reading her newest book, Unshakeable.




 If you are feeling stressed, unmotivated or unhappy with your daily teaching attitude I encourage you to look into Angela's blog and books.  I was thrilled to begin listening to her new Podcast series called Truth for Teachers.  If you are new to podcast please let me know and I'll happily show you how to subscribe to them.   Angela shares a new episode each Sunday.

Last week's topic was How to gain energy from kids instead of letting them drain you!  Its just what I needed to hear and am hopeful it might help others.
The episodes are only about 10 minutes long.  This last episode has several ideas to regain energy through several easy steps.  Angela knows the reality of how teachers give, give, give.  We spend all of our time working and worrying about standards but when do we enjoy our students and step back and breathe and celebrate their growth?  When do we look for the joy in each student?  When do we start realizing that the time we gain in knowing our students and adding a little fun will truly help us to be better at our jobs.  She also has great advice about dealing with "covering the curriculum" and pleasing administration.   Her advice and suggestions reminded me of why I love following her teachings.  She's real and she knows what is truly happening in the trenches.  Of course we continue to teach, but is it time we stop and look for quality learning vs. quantity?

I encourage you to check out Angela's sites and please give her Podcast a try.  I know there are many of you feeling blah about your job and not experiencing the joy that should be coming from our job.  You have the greatest mission, serving young children every day.  I, too, am hoping to work on my attitude and focus on the great kids we teach and the wonderful staff we work with.


 Click on the link to listen to this Podcast  
How to gain energy from kids instead of letting them drain you!   


Happy Reading & Listening,
Mrs. Speake

Check out this T-shirt ... I love it!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment