20 October 2013

Pathways to the Common Core

     It is hard to believe the first quarter of the school year is complete!  Teachers are busy entering grades using a standards based reporting system as we emphasize the Iowa Core standards for literacy and mathematics.   Last year the teachers at South Side spent endless hours looking at the Iowa Core Standards and determining if, when and how it is being taught at their grade level.  Assessments were chosen for each standard.   This work has been strenuous, tedious and far from fun.

Reality:  Many of us are feeling as if we barely understand the Core.  Do we have the background knowledge we need to understand the Core?  Only if you have spent personal hours reading articles, blogs or books.  Sounds like fun, enjoyable reading, right?  Not so much.

The Common Core State Standards in Literacy and Mathematics were integrated into the Iowa Core by Iowa State Board of Education action in 2010. All school districts and accredited nonpublic schools are required to fully implement the Iowa Core in grades 9-12 by July 1, 2012 and grades K-8 by the 2014-2015 school year.  Our South Side SINA team made the Iowa Core are driving force for teams to "unpack" and begin using the documents to drive our teaching and students learning.  Did we receive formal training?  No.  Each team dug into the work as best they could.  Basically we looked at the standard's learning targets ("I can" statements) and decided how we could best assess the students work in regards to the learning targets.  

So where are we now?  We know the standards, we have our assessments and we are trying to integrate this with our units of Being a Writer, Making Meaning, Guided Spelling, Phonics and independent reading activities.  This trial & error work is causing teachers to ask tough questions and question if we are even on the right path in regards to our daily teaching.

As literacy coach, I have at least one teacher a day asking honest questions or making honest statements when it comes to the core assessments her team has decided to try this school year.  For example:
What am I going to do?  I have to give this assessment but I don't teach the skills? 
I gave this assessment and I found out it doesn't assess what I thought it would...now what do I do?  
We all did the assessment differently , is that okay?
Do I have to do this Core instruction?  Who will know if I don't do it?
Why are we assessing now?  I only assess when I know my students are going to pass it.
What do they mean by informational text?  I don't use a lot of non-fiction when I teach but should I be? 
Why are we doing all this change? We teach all this stuff already.  
If we do this core won't we just be making the gap greater for our top students and struggling students?

Do I understand the core deeply in regards to the why, how and what?  No.   I see what other teachers are sharing through blogs.  Their work with the core is remarkable.  I know we can get there too.  But what is our next step?  How do we embrace it and truly strive for school improvement and personal improvement in our teaching abilities? 

What I do know is that we have made huge gains in our expectations and our beliefs in regards to literacy.  We have added the workshop approach which allows for students to be engaged and held accountable to deeper thinking through conversation and rich literature.  Students must be doing the hard work and thinking.  We also believe every student should be actually reading  for at least 30-45 minutes during the school day and they should be authentically writing every day!  We have come so far and I believe the Core can fit well with what we need to do next.  BUT we have to have a plan or our trial & error method will lead us down the wrong path.

I am reading the book Pathways to the Common Core.  I was so excited after the first chapter that I knew this might be able to provide our next step on the path to adopting the Core.   I have asked administration if we could offer this as a book study.  I believe we can develop a great plan for H-D if we have informed teachers.


That is the beauty of the core.  The standards are the academic beliefs concerning what our students need to become successful citizens as they enter college and/or the career force. The core does not dictate how we must teach but what the end result should be.  As a district, we must look at our students, our assets, our teaching strengths and together develop a path that will lead our students to success.

If you are struggling with understanding the Core please think about joining the book study, Pathways to the Common Core

Together I believe we can reach a deeper understanding of the core that will lead us to improve our teaching units, teaching strategies and above all to improve the academic success of our students.  At South Side we will be analyzing our core instruction at every grade level.  This is due to our Year 2 SINA plan and as we pilot the states RtI plan.  I am hopeful this text may help answer many of our tough questions and lead us to our next steps in regards to our daily teaching.

For more information, click this link.  Find the tab "samples" to read the introduction and Chapter 1.  I hope the first chapter alone offers insight in regards to why we must dig deeper into developing our own plan.   Details will be developed in regards to time, location and place of the book study.  Email me if you may be interested in participating or if you have suggestions and/or questions.  There is PD money to support our study.  

Happy Reading! Mrs. Speake


No comments:

Post a Comment