22 September 2013

Time for Small Groups to Begin!


We have been in school for several weeks  and the students are successfully building reading and writing stamina every day!  It is time for the next steps.  Our conferring notes have been viewed, the formative assessments have been collected and the data from the MAP assessments are in.  This all leads to what we already knew...
         our students will need differentiated lessons or we will never meet their learning needs or support their learning strengths!

Last year I worked in a Kindergarten and 3rd grade classroom on a regular basis.  It can be tough going into a classroom to support readers and/or writers without all of the "teaching stuff" you need at a moment's notice.  I developed a small group reading binder that works well for me.  This year I am in a co-taught first grade room so I am going to use the same methods and I added a few things.  I thought the best way to show the idea was through pictures.....
















































I will keep my binder, students trays, books and magnets in one large plastic tote or basket.

This is one idea but sometimes seeing one idea leads to something that works best for you.  One point I wanted to make is that you do not need to have lots of shelf space to house your small group reading supplies.  I could easily carry my binder & basket room-to-room if I travel to various classrooms.

If you see a sheet in the post & would like a copy....let me know.  Most of the items are from our F&P Phonics CD, The CAFE text & website or from the The Next Step in Guided Reading text & website.

 If you are new to teaching small groups and would like help in getting started let me know-stop in my office or send an email.  I will gladly help you get your supplies ready to go!


Happy Reading! Mrs. Speake p

No comments:

Post a Comment