08 October 2011

Reading Pledge

      I had a great time traveling around to the classrooms telling them a little about my new position as literacy coach & encouraging our students to take a reading pledge!  Most of our 1st, 2nd and 3rd graders were wondering...."where are your kids?"  "how come you aren't teaching?"
      I went in with my Literacy Coach badge, athletic bag and a basket full of books.  We discussed the terms literacy and coach separately.  They caught on quickly to the fact my job was to make sure every student at South Side was reading everyday just like a coach makes sure the athletes practice everyday.
     In my athletic bag I had three hats to demonstrate three kinds of reading we do at South everyday.

Reading to Learn (worker hard hat)   Reading for Fun (baseball hat)
Reading for Information                     (detective hat)

     I had volunteers wear the hats and together we looked at the variety of books from my basket.  We discussed what kind of reading it would be.  (math book, science book, directions for a game, cookbook, favorite picture book, favorite chapter book, Dr. Seuss book, variety of non-fiction, dictionary)

     The kids quickly discovered they read all day long!  I then read the pledge, we stood and formally crossed our hearts, the kids echoed the pledge and then each class signed a poster size pledge I hung in the lunchroom.

     The learning target was to help students discover the various ways we read at school and that we all must practice reading everyday.  The more we read the smarter we'll be!

Happy Reading-Ronna

No comments:

Post a Comment