01 January 2013

January 2013... One Little Word

Happy New Year!
I can hardly believe the new year is here and the holidays have passed.  I had a wonderful break but time to return to reality...back to work.

I have always been a goal oriented person and of course with the new year... I have to make my list of things I want to accomplish.  My family will tell you I definitely show signs of  O.C.D. or as they like to tease me- Organizational Compulsive Disorder.  

I believe it is so important to make goals and strive for something personally and professionally.  There is no greater feeling than to reach a goal and shout "I DID IT"!  Or to discover something you didn't know you could do.

This will be my third year to participate in the One Little Word movement that I learned through Ali Edwards (her summary is below).  Although it is not school related  I like to share the idea with people as it really has made a huge impact in my life.

      In 2006, I began a tradition of choosing one word for myself each January—a word that I can focus on, meditate on, and reflect upon as I go about my daily life. My words have included play, peace, vitality, nurture, story, light and up. These words have each become a part of my life in one way or another. They've been embedded into who I am, and into who I'm becoming. They've been what I've needed (and didn't know I needed). They've helped me to breathe deeper, to see clearer and to grow.
Can you identify a single word that sums up what you want for yourself in 2013?
It can be something tangible or intangible. It can be a thought, a feeling, or an emotion. It can be singular or plural. The key is to find something that has personal meaning for you. This is not your mother's word or your spouse's word or your child's word—this is YOUR word.
One little word can have big meaning in your life if you allow yourself to be open to the possibilities. And here's one thing that is totally interesting: sometimes a word will pop into your brain and it will not make any sense to you right now. Give it some time. Let it percolate a bit. I have often found that our heart speaks to us in very unique ways. Maybe this is a word you need to hear but just aren't ready for it yet.
Again, be open to the possibilities.

As for me, my first two words were Believe and Trust.   It may seem silly or too simple, but I have enriched my life both personally and professionally.  For the meditation part of this I used these words with my faith habits as I prayed or tried to be obedient.  I will spare you my list of accomplishments or highlights but as I reflect on the last two years I am thrilled with the goals I have reached and the many new experiences I have had.  

So I encourage you to try One Little Word...you might be amazed what you accomplish or experience. It's never too late to make a change or be the change you want to see in your daily life!

Play. Peace. Vitality. Nurture. Light. Up. Courage. Prayer. Love. Change. Grace. Run. Hope. Connection. Dance. Health. Grateful. Awesome. Save. Vision. Meditate. Stretch. Journey. Create. Believe. Choice. Believe. Trust. Nurture. Encourage. Balance. Do. Discover. Go. Kindness. Cherish. Joy..... What will your word be?

Happy Reading!
 Mrs. Speake





No comments:

Post a Comment